Holiday Toy Drive to benefit students
Pasco County Commission Chairman Mike Moore has partnered with the Pasco County School Board to collect new toys for local children. The inaugural Holiday Toy Drive began Nov. 1 and will continue through Nov. 27. All toys collected will be given to students through the Pasco County School District. Donations of new, unwrapped toys for children ages 5 to 13 may be dropped off at any of the following locations:
• West Pasco Government Center, 8731 Citizens Drive, New Port Richey
• Pasco County Historic Courthouse, 37918 Meridian Ave., Dade City
• New River Branch Library, 34043 State Road 54, Zephyrhills
There are also several community partners throughout the county that are accepting donations. For a full list of participating locations, visit bit.ly/2gEK4lz. For information, call Moore’s office at (352) 521-4111.
Toys for Tots now taking registrations
Registration is under way for the annual Toys for Tots program. For details on how to register a child and receive toys, call or email the contact in the nearest Pasco County community:
• The Wesley Chapel contact is Deardra Cerruto. Sen dmail to [email protected] or call (813) 842-5299. Distribution will be from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 16.
• The Dade City contact is Sylvia Salazar. Send email to [email protected] or call (after 4 p.m. only) (352) 206-4502. The distribution date and time will be determined later.
• The Land O’Lakes contact is Herbert Roshell. Send email to [email protected] or call (813) 929-1229. The distribution will be from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 16.
• The New Port Richey registration is online only; visit citynprrec.maxgalaxy.net/BrowseDayCamps.aspx. Distribution will be from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dec. 23. Those needing assistance may contact the New Port Richey Recreation & Aquatic Center at (727) 841-4560.
• Zephyrhills registration is online only; visit citynprrec.maxgalaxy.net/BrowseDayCamps.aspx. Distribution will be from 8 a.m. to noon Dec. 17. For information, contact Melodie Parks at (813) 909-3187 or [email protected]
Food donations sought for Stuff the Bus
The Volunteer Way and Pasco County Public Transportation invite the community to help with a Stuff the Bus with Food drive for those in need during the Thanksgiving holiday. Donations of canned vegetables, stuffing, instant mashed potatoes, French onions, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie are being sought. Turkeys, hams and chickens are also needed. Buses will collect food from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 18 at two Walmart locations: 8745 State Road 54, New Port Richey, and 28500 State Road 54, Wesley Chapel. Sponsors and volunteers are also welcome. For details, call (727) 815-0433 or send email to [email protected] All food collected will be donated to the Volunteer Way Food Bank, which provides food each month to more than 23,000 people in need.
Employees collecting shoes and socks
Pasco County government employees are joining the county’s constitutional offices and the Pasco County School District to collect new shoes and socks for local children through the Two Good Soles Shoes & Socks Drive. The final shoe and sock count will be from 9 a.m. to noon Nov. 14 in the Ridgewood High School gym, 7650 Orchid Lake Road, New Port Richey. A ceremony will begin at 11 a.m.; parking will be available at the back of the high school campus. Everyone is welcome to donate new shoes or socks. For information on dropoff locations, call Pasco County customer service at (727) 847-2411.
Vehicle show, toy drive to benefit needy
A Car, Truck, Jeep, Bike Show and Christmas Toy Drive will be from noon to 5 p.m. Nov. 19 at Allen Road Mini Storage, 4740 Allen Road, Zephyrhills. Favorite superheroes will be present for photos and a meet-and-greet. There will be vendors, food, games, a bounce house, drone coverage and eating contests. The event is a benefit for foster children in the Eckerd Raising Hope group. Donations of new and gently used clothing, bedding, bags and toys for children of all ages will be collected. Admission is free. The cost is $10 to enter a vehicle in the show. For information, call (813) 479-5599.
Organic food drives runs through Dec. 15
New Port Richey FarmNet is hosting its third annual organic food drive through Dec. 15 in New Port Richey. FarmNet organizers from Friendship Farms & Fare and West Pasco Habitat for Humanity are asking for contributions of certified USDA organic food in cans and boxes for distribution to low-income and less fortunate families. Organizers are requesting only USDA certified organic food in cans or boxes; no produce or perishables. Periodic distribution events will be scheduled near Thanksgiving and during the December holiday season.
Two FarmNet supporting participants will host drop-off containers for the food collection: Wright’s Natural Market, 6630 U.S. 19, and West Pasco Habitat for Humanity, 4131 Madison St. Donations will also be received on Sundays at Grand Gardens, 5721 Grand Blvd.
Monetary contributions for the organic food drive may be sent to: Friendship Farms & Fare, P.O. Box 596, New Port Richey, FL 34656-0596. All resources received for this event are tax-deductible and will be used exclusively to purchase food for the organic food drive. Financial support to cover the cost of materials, supplies and transportation is also welcome. For information, call Sylvia Spencer at (727) 269-1786.