We’ll take a cup of kindness, sure, but what we really want to see on New Year’s Eve is stuff blown up in a dazzling fireworks show. So here’s a quick guide to where you can see fireworks on Sunday night to start the year off with a bang:
• Downtown St. Petersburg: As part of its alcohol-free First Night celebration there will be fireworks at 8 p.m. and midnight. It’s free to wander around, but buttons get you into activities. $12-$15, $5-$10 ages 6-12, 5 and younger free. Straub Park at Beach Drive and Fifth Avenue NE, St. Petersburg. (727) 823-8906. firstnightstpete.com.
• Downtown Tampa: The city of Tampa moved its countdown this year to Cotanchobee Fort Brooke Park, 601 Old Water St., Tampa. 10 p.m. Sunday. thetampariverwalk.com/fireworks.
• Clearwater Beach: Fireworks will be shot off Sand Key in a midnight display that can be seen along all of Clearwater Beach.
• Apollo Beach: The fireworks will be shot from a barge moored in Bal Harbor. It’s free to watch and no cover at Circles Waterfront Restaurant, 1212 Apollo Beach Blvd. (813) 641-3275.
• East Tampa: With Mario Lopez as host, the Pied Piper Productions party will have its own fireworks display at TPepin’s Hospitality Centre, 4121 N 50th St., Tampa. 21 and older only. All-inclusive tickets start at $75. (813) 279-8335. piedpiperproductions.com.
• Busch Gardens: The Tampa theme park will stay open till 1 a.m. and have a park-wide count down and fireworks. Included with admission: $99, $79 ages 3-9, 2 and younger free. Busch Gardens, 10165 N McKinley Drive, Tampa. Toll-free 1-888-800-5447. 9 a.m.-1 a.m. Sunday.
• Yacht StarShip: The party boats that dock at 25 Causeway Blvd., Clearwater, and also 603 Channelside Drive, Tampa will have New Year’s Eve fireworks cruises for 21 and older. $149.95-$199.95. (813) 223-7999. yachtstarship.com.
• Rocky Point: A privately funded fireworks show can be viewed from Whiskey Joe’s and the adjacent Bay Harbor Hotel, at 7700 Courtney Campbell Parkway, Tampa. Party entry is $10 and up at Whiskey Joe’s, and $15-$400 at Bay Harbor’s James Bond Party. (813) 281-8900. eventbrite.com.
Contact Sharon Kennedy Wynne at [email protected] Follow @SharonKWn.
FORECAST: Check the weekend’s weather forecast while making your plans.
MORE EVENTS: Search By Date, Price and Neighborhood
MUSIC: Our Top Concert Picks
DINING: Where to Eat This Week
MOVIES: What’s New In Theaters
FOLLOW: Things To Do Updates on Facebook