• Jan. 8: Teacher planning day. No school for students.
• Jan. 9: School resumes for students after Winter Break.
• Jan. 15: No school, Martin Luther King Jr. Day
• Jan. 16: Report cards are distributed.
Center for the Arts at River Ridge, 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey. (727) 774-7382.
• The center’s Learn it Live! series presents The Three Little Pigs, at 10:30 a.m. Jan. 24- 25. Pre-K – grade 4. Public show at 11 a.m. Jan. 27. $5
Center for the Arts at Wesley Chapel, 30651 Wells Road, Wesley Chapel. 813-794-8772.
• Weightman Middle School Talent Show, 9:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. Jan. 19.
• Lake Myrtle Elementary concert, 7 p.m. Jan. 23-24.
• Wesley Chapel High eighth-grade showcase, 9 a.m. Jan. 25.
e_SBlt Lego Robotics Open House, 12 noon to 3 p.m. Jan. 6 at the New River Library, 34043 State Road 54, Zephyrhills. (813) 788-6375. Learn about Lego Mindstorms and how to get involved in the library Robotics Club.
• Tinker Tuesdays, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Jan. 9 at the Land O’Lakes Library, 2818 Collier Parkway, Land O’Lakes. (813) 929-1214. This new program will explore a different theme each month such as: art, science, travel, books and more. Grades: K-5. For information, call.
• Coder Dojo. 4 to 5:30 p.m. Jan. 10 at the Hugh Embry Library, 14215 Fourth St., Dade City. (352) 567-3576. Learn how to create stories and games with basic Scratch coding for beginners. Grades 6-12.
For information about Pasco County library offerings at all branches, check out the events calendar at www.pascolibraries.org. For information about events and programs at the New Port Richey Public Library, go to nprlibrary.org
• The Pasco County Schools Magnet School application window will be open through Jan. 12. Pasco County Magnet Schools include, Bayonet Point Middle STEM School in Port Richey, Centennial Middle STEM School in Dade City, Pine View Middle IB Middle Years Programme Candidate School in Land O’Lakes and Sanders Memorial Elementary STEAM School in Land O’Lakes. For more information on how to apply, go to www.pasco.k12.fl.us/ed_choice/magnet
• Online applications for the Pasco Education Foundation scholarships will be open through Jan. 31. The scholarships are intended for graduating seniors from a Pasco County public school who will be attending post-secondary education at a college, university or technical school. Applications must be completed by the student, including accompanying essays. Once the application review has been completed, only students that have been selected to receive a scholarship will be notified via email and U.S. mail. To view a list of available scholarships and or to apply, go to www.pascoeducationfoundation.org/students/
• The application window for the 2018-2019 Pasco Hernando State College Collegiate High School Program is open through February 2. The Collegiate High School Program is designed to allow students to earn an AA/AS Degree or a Cape Certification while also earning their standard high school diploma. For more information on program features, requirements and the application process go to www.pasco.k12.fl.us/otl/chs
• Saint Leo University is seeking college-bound high school seniors who want to study computer science or mathematics for a special four-year scholarship and academic program the university has underway.
Saint Leo plans to admit eight high-achieving students as Emerging Math and Computer Science Scholars (EMACS) in fall 2018 at University Campus in east Pasco County. Recurring scholarships of up to $10,000 are available to each admitted scholar as long as academic standards are met. Receiving EMACS scholarships will not prevent students from receiving other financial aid, if they are eligible.
The EMACS program scholarships were made possible at Saint Leo through a grant from the National Science Foundation, awarded to the university to help nurture analytical and technology talent in the next generation.
The first cohort of EMACS Scholars was admitted in the fall of 2017. There will be only two cohorts under this grant. Application deadline for the fall of 2018 is March 1. Students, parents, teachers and guidance counselors are invited to learn more and request a campus tour by contacting faculty member Dr. Vyas Krishnan at [email protected]
Send your school news to Michele Miller at [email protected]