Alan Rickman, scene-stealing star of Die Hard and Harry Potter, dies at age 69
Alan Rickman, who captivated audiences first in the ‘80s as the villainous Hans Gruber in Die Hard, has died. He was 69.
A statement from his family, as reported by the BBC, read: "The actor and director Alan Rickman has died from cancer at the age of 69. He was surrounded by family and friends."
The West London-born actor saw his career begin in the ‘80s with parts on British TV series and movies. In 1988, he had his first worldwide hit opposite Bruce Willis in Die Hard. In 1989, he appeared in The January Man along with Kevin Kline.
He cemented his reputation as the sadistic Hans Gruber with 1991’s Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and the double-agent Professor Severus Snape in the Harry Potter movies. But he could also play a wayward husband caught in lure of an affair as he did in 2003’s Love Actually. His final on-screen work will be as the voice of the Blue Caterpillar in Alice Through the Looking Glass, to be released May 27.
The Associated Press reports that Rickman is survived by his partner of 50 years, Rima Horton, whom he married recently.
TOP 5 HANS GRUBER LINES FROM DIE HARD:
5. “I'm going to count to three, there won't be a four... Give me the code.”
4. “Nice suit. John Phillips, London. I have two myself. Rumor has it Arafat buys his there.”
3. “‘And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer.’ Benefits of a classical education.”
2. “When they touch down, we'll blow the roof, they'll spend a month sifting through rubble, and by the time they figure out what went wrong, we'll be sitting on a beach, earning twenty percent.”
1. "Now I have a machine gun. Ho ho ho."