20 best summer movies of the 80s
It's Memorial Day, so let the summer officially begin. And what better way to start than rewatching a few of the truly great summer flicks of the 80s.
How did we compile the list? Mainly through reader contributions and by surveying my vast collection of DVDs. (Yes, I own 11 of the movies below.) The criteria: The release date of the movie isn't important -- only that the "summer" play a significant role in the plot. Some real classics -- "Caddyshack," for example -- aren't high on the list because while they revolve around the summer, it's not a big enough plot point.
And in an unprecedented move, I've grandfathered in one 70s flick. Look below to see which movie won that unusual exemption.
TOP 20 SUMMER MOVIES OF THE 80s:
20. WEEKEND AT BERNIE'S (1989): Andrew McCarthy, Jonathan Silverman. "How do you like that? The guy gets laid more times dead than I do alive."
19. MYSTIC PIZZA (1988): Annabeth Gish, Julia Roberts. "Daddy banging the babysitter is a really old story, Kat; it happens all the time."
17. SPACE CAMP (1986): Kate Capshaw, Lea Thompson. "Max and Jinx... Friends... For-e-ver."
16. BEACHES (1988): Bette Midler, Barbara Hershey. "But enough about me, let's talk about you... what do YOU think of me?"
15. SECRET ADMIRER (1985): C. Thomas Howell, Kelly Preston. "Jesus! You are one gutsy virgin!"
14. KARATE KID 2 (1986): Ralph Macchio, Pat Morita. "You insult my honor again, I'll kill you."
12. CADDYSHACK (1980): Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield. "You're probably high already and you don't even know it."
11. DIRTY DANCING (1987): Jennifer Grey, Patrick Swayze. "Oh, come on, ladies. God wouldn't have given you maracas if He didn't want you to shake 'em."
10. LOVERBOY (1989): Patrick Dempsey, Kate Jackson. "I had a Letter to Penthouse staring me right in the face, and I let it go."
9. SHAG: THE MOVIE (1989): Phoebe Cates, Annabeth Gish. "Well, don't play hard to get. You might miss something."
8. SAY ANYTHING (1989): John Cusack, Ione Skye. "The rain on my car is a baptism, the new me, Ice Man, Power Lloyd, my assault on the world begins now."
6. SUMMER RENTAL (1985): Karen Austin, John Candy. "Come on thru. I'm Joe Public, welcome to my beach."
5. SUMMER LOVERS (1982): Peter Gallagher, Daryl Hannah. "Making love to you is like riding a horse."
4. THE FLAMINGO KID (1984): Matt Dillon, Hector Elizondo. "Gin, Phil."
3. MEATBALLS (1979): Bill Murray, Chris Makepeace. "The winner of tonight's mystery meat contest is Jeffrey Corbin who guessed 'some kind of beef.' "
1. VACATION (1983): Chevy Chase, Beverly D'Angelo. "Sorry folks, park's closed. Moose out front shoulda told ya."
How'd we do? What movies are missing? What movies are overrated?