The 80s go radioactive again
Hey there, 80s nation: I just got home from guest-hosting two hours of great 80s music at WMNF 88.5-FM here in Tampa Bay. Muchos gracias goes to Flee (pictured above), who invited me to kick off the station's "80s Week."
If you missed the show, click this to hear it online. Or for each hour of the show (minus the news and traffic), use these links: Hour 1 and Hour 2. (Thanks to Dave Peterkofsky for pulling those together.)
(And I returned the favor to Jeff in Cuba by wearing his radio station's t-shirt.)
Flee's got great taste in 80s music. Playing the Dead Milkmen's "Instant Club Hit" was totally his call. We were close to using "Bitchin' Camaro" instead, but there's a little adult-language problem with that tune.
Here was the final playlist we went with:
- Billy Idol - Blue Highway
- The Nails - 88 Lines About 44 Women
- Elvis Costello - Let Them All Talk
- They Might Be Giants - Ana Ng
- Pee Wee Herman - Surfin' Bird
- Alex Chilton - No Sex
- Artists United Against Apartheid - Sun City
- Oingo Boingo - Nothing to Fear (But Fear Itself)
- The Dead Milkmen - Instant Club Hit
- New Order - Confusion
- Prince - United For West
- The J.A.M.S. - Whitney Joins The Jams
- Adam Ant - Stand And Deliver
- The dB's - Love Is For Lovers
- The Cars - You might Think
- The Plimsouls - A Million Miles Away
- Jerry Harrison/Bootsy Collins - Begin Bombing In 5 Mins
- Living Colour - Cult Of Personality
- Thomas Dolby - Europa And The Pirate Twins
- Black Flag - TV Party
- Styx - Best Of Times
Thanks to everyone who listened along at home and left comments on the blog. The next stop on the Stuck in the 80s tour de force is an appearance on ABC Action News in Tampa Bay later this week -- this time with co-host Sean Daly coming along for the ride. More details later on that.
Don't forget the station's 80s party at the Crowbar in Ybor City on Saturday night. Flee and I will both be there. He'll be the one signing autographs. I'll be the loner guy at the bar trying to order a 32-ounce kamikazee, scaring away the ladies.