Is Anthony Edwards the greatest wingman of the '80s?
Forget about "Goose" for a minute and really think about it: Anthony Edwards might be the greatest wingman of the '80s ... maybe of any decade.
Check out his '80s credits: He's the stoner bud to Jeff Spicoli in Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Edwards is the one who only has a cigarette to offer at All-American Burger.) He's "Gilbert" to Robert Carradine's "Louis" in Revenge of the Nerds. For crying out loud, he sets up John Cusack with The Sure Thing! (Even if Cusack picks Daphne Zuniga instead. Go figure.)
And admit it, you cried like a baby when he died in Top Gun. Maverick, thrashing around in the Pacific Ocean, trying to revive his beloved Goose. (I'm going to lose it right now.)
Edwards turns 47 years old today. I suspect Goose will spend it the way any good wingman would: Making sure his buddies are priority one. We're buzzing the tower in your honor today, Goosie.
TOP 5 MEMORABLE '80s ROLES FOR ANTHONY EDWARDS:
5. KIP (How I Got Into College): "Love is a righteous emotion!"
4. JONATHAN (Gotcha): "Mon crayon est large." [Trailer]
3. GILBERT (Revenge of the Nerds): "No one's gonna really be free until nerd persecution ends." [The musical number]
2. LANCE (The Sure Thing): "Gib, you want a relationship? That's fine. Just remember that every relationship starts with a one-night stand."
1. GOOSE (Top Gun): "Show me the way home, honey."