'Arthur' remake may co-star Meryl Streep as the butler
Dudley Moore is gone. So is John Gielgud. (And Liza Minnelli ain't getting any younger.) And even though they defined the charm that was 1981's Arthur, Hollywood is willing to bet you'll go see a remake of it anyway. (All together now, in that infamous drunken Arthur voice: "Thaaa'zz crazzzzy!")
Jason Winer, creator and writer of TV's new hit Modern Family, will helm the project, according to the Playlist blog. Russell Brand (Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Bedtime Stories) will take Moore's role as the drink-swilling playboy who will inherit his family's millions ... if he marries an heiress instead of the working-class woman he's fallen for instead.
The real head-shaker: Meryl Streep is rumored to be the first choice to play the role of the butler, originally handled by Gielgud. I suppose that has its comic possibilities. (Especially the whole "Would you like me to wash your d--- for you" moment.)
TOP 5 "QUESTIONS" IN 'ARTHUR':
5. "You're a hooker? Jesus, I forgot! I just thought I was doing GREAT with you!"
4. "He's taking the knife out of the cheese! ... Do you think he wants some cheese?"
3. "I often think... fish must get awfully tired of seafood. What are you thoughts, Hobson?"
2. "I have brought you orange juice, coffee, and aspirins. Or do you need to throw up?"
1. "Do you have any objection to naming a child Vladimir? Even a girl?"