Back to work, Gib!
Poor John Cusack. I finally know how he feels. See you again at Thanksgiving, "Nicollette."
On a somewhat related note, my long-vanished DVD copy of The Sure Thing was unearthed over the weekend (oddly enough while looking for my still-missing copy of Woody Allen's Manhattan).
This next part is a bit embarrassing. The Sure Thing was wedged between Everything You Wanted To Know About Sex and Last American Virgin, thus confirming everyone's worst fear: Yes, I do have an entire shelf of '80s sex movies in the Spears Lair.
While I get busy here at work dealing with this weekend's podcast and preparing for next week's surprise topic, here's a quickie top 5 list.
TOP 5 LINES FROM BIT CHARACTERS IN 'THE SURE THING':
5. "I had some more fried food for lunch. I know, I know, I shouldn't have had it but I just couldn't help myself. Do you think I lack self-discipline?"
4. "Hi, I'm Gary Cooper, but not the Gary Cooper that's dead."
3. "Thoughts raced through his mind. Did she really want him? What had he done to deserve this bounty? Does God exist? Who invented liquid soap and why?"
2. "I was in Paris once with my wife... boy am I glad she's dead."
1. "I hope you appreciate the magnitude of your impending good fortune."