'Beetlejuice' sequel returns from the dead
This is one idea that should stay in the after-life: Hollywood is looking to produce a sequel to 1988's Beetlejuice, according to Deadline.com. Well, actually it's not a sequel. It's a reboot that will advance the original storyline. Perfect. Because we all need to know what Michael Keaton is up to while he waits a bazillion years in line outside Juno's office.
If you want the Hollywood-ese version of the tale, David Katzenberg and Seth Grahame-Smith inked a two-year deal with Warner Bros. and want this Beetlejuice project to be their first offspring. Grahame-Smith did some screenwriting work for the Tim Burton, the original film's director, so maybe this idea doesn't stink like a half-filled coffin afterall.
The 1988 flick starred Keaton as a rebel "bio-exorcist" hired to help two newly dead homeowners -- Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis -- chase some unwanted guests out of their beloved house. And yes, it was much funnier than it sounds. Exactly why this remake/sequel/reboot/reincarnation is on the top of their to-do list is something not even Beetle- ... Ah! Oo, oo, oo, oo, ah, ah, ah! Nobody says the "B" word!-- can figure out. At least we'll get to hear more ancient tunes from Harry Belafonte, we presume.
TOP 5 UNDER-USED BEETLEJUICE QUOTES:
5. "Not so fast, round boy. We're gonna have some laughs."
4. "Let's turn on the juice and see what shakes loose."
3. "Open this door, you dead people, or we'll bust it down and we'll drag you out by the ropes you hang yourselves with!"
2. "If you don't let me gut out this house and make it my own, I will go insane, and I will take you with me!"
1. "Please, they're dead. It's a little late to be neurotic."