'Boys! Avenge me!'
Wow. I know we all get old, but Harry Dean Stanton is making an art form out of it. (In all fairness, he's 80 years old.) Stanton attended the May 10 premiere of his new movie "The Wendell Baker Story" in Los Angeles. The buzz on the film, which stars Luke and Owen Wilson, is phenomenal -- with a lot of critics specifically praising Stanton's performance.
That should be no surprise to long-time fans. Chicago Sun-Times film critic Roger once said "no movie featuring Harry Dean Stanton or M. Emmet Walsh in a supporting role can be altogether bad." (Though he appropriately reconsidered his theorem after 1989's "Dream a Little Dream.")
But if I must pick his five best? (Oh, I must.)
TOP 5 HARRY DEAN STANTON FLICKS FROM THE '80s:
5. Pretty in Pink (1986): "Just because you love someone, it doesn't mean they're gonna love you back."
4. Red Dawn (1984): "Boys! Avenge me! Aveeeeenge me!"
3. Young Doctors in Love (1982): "There are over twenty bodily fluids present in the human body and I am proud to say I have tasted all of them."
2. Escape from New York (1981): "They're savages, Mr. President."
1. Repo Man (1984): "Credit is a sacred trust, it's what our free society is founded on. Do you think they give a damn about their bills in Russia?"