Come on, guys. It's all reboots these days: Here comes 'Fletch' again
Hollywood's most difficult remake has new life. Fletch lives again ... maybe. According to the Hollywood Reporter and Monsters and Critics, David Mandel is in talks to write a reboot of the Chevy Chase classic.
Consider those words: Chevy. Chase. Classic. Seriously, nobody should be coming within a mattress tag's distance of this project.
Mandel is probably best known for his work on Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm. But TV to movie writing? (I'm not even sure that's a crime anymore. There've been a lot of changes in the law.)
Just about everyone in Hollywood -- including the Underhills and Dr. Rosenrosen -- have been attached to a Fletch reboot over the years. And it never seems to get father than a blog post. With no director and no lead actor stepping up, I'd say this effort feels like a manure spreader that jackknifed on the Santa Ana. Godawful mess. You should see my shoes.
TOP 10 MEMORABLE 'QUESTION QUOTES' FROM FLETCH:
10. "If you're wearing rubbers, leave them outside, would you?"
9. "Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?"
8. "Ever seen a spleen that large?"
7. "Provo, Spain?"
6. "What the hell you need ball bearings for?"
5. "Why don't we go lay on the bed and I'll fill you in?"
4. "Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo."
3. "You're not recording this, are you?"
2. "This little proposition doesn't entail me dressing as Little Bo-Peep, does it?"
1. "You using the whole fist, Doc?"