The comic genius of 'Airplane'
Looks like I picked the wrong day to honor Lloyd Bridges. Actually, it's the perfect day. Today, Bridges would have been 295 years old. (Actually, just 95, but doesn't it seem like he's been around that long?)
Bridges is old school -- capital O and S. But his contributions to the 80s are worth a tip 'o the cap. "Love Boat" episodes. "Paper Dolls." Horny old "Vincent Kozinski" in "Cousins." (Dude, I loved him back in '78 playing Commander Cain in Battlestar Galactica!) And though they fell in the 90s, he kills me in "Joe Versus The Volcano" and "Hot Shots."
But any discussion of Bridges is incomplete without considering his role as "Steven McCroskey" in the "Airplane" movies. I have no idea whether he understood the comic genius of his role at the time, but Bridges was legendary in the original flick.
Alas, Bridges passed away in 1998. But somewhere up there, he's going to enjoy today's top 5 list.
TOP 5 MEMORABLE LLOYD BRIDGES LINES:
5. "Well, does it take more guts to twice traverse a staircase in a burning building, or to make a one-time leap into a volcano? Damned if I know, Kemosabe." (Joe Versus The Volcano)
4. "My eyes are ceramic. Caught a bazooka round at Little Big Horn. Or was it Okinawa? The one without the Indians." (Hot Shots)
3. "I'd rather have a case of the clap than a case of this wine." (Cousins)
2. "And I can sum it all up in just one word: courage, dedication, daring, pride, pluck, spirit, grit, mettle, and G-U-T-S, guts! Why, Ted Striker's got more guts in his little finger than most of us have in our large intestine, including the colon!" (Airplane II)
1. "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue." (Airplane)