Compact discs are 25 years old!
Twenty-five years ago today, Aug. 17, 1982, the first compact discs were born. According to the Associated Press, those first discs were produced in a factory near Hanover, Germany, and contained Richard Strauss' Alpine Symphony.
Can you remember the first CD you bought? Strangely enough, I remember my first five.
1. Duran Duran - Arena: I actually bought this as a gift for a Duran Duran fan. It'd be years later before I'd actually own a CD player.
2. Peter Gabriel - So: Still own this one -- probably the oldest and most-played CD in my collection.
3. Paul Simon - Graceland: I never got a chance to play this one. It fell victim to a cheese-related accident at a party I threw on the day I bought a CD player.
4. Pretty in Pink soundtrack: I've actually bought this one four times now. No telling which of my friends borrowed and forget to return the first three.
5. Meat Loaf -- Bat Out of Hell: See, I'm not totally stuck in the 80s.