Crash Davis finally gets his girl: Nuke and Annie call it quits
Twenty-some years after Bull Durham had baseball nuts and romantic-comedy fans drooling, this photo of Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon is still creepy. Must be the striped jockey underwear. Or the fact that Annie's house has the same wallpaper as my late grandmother's place.
For those who don't follow the gossip trade, this week Robbins and Sarandon officially announced they have called it quits, People magazine reports. The two met on the set of the 1988 baseball flick. And while I admire Bull Durham for its alleged authenticity of life as a minor leaguer, I never bought into the love plotline from the movie. In real life, Kevin Costner and Robbins would have been fighting over Millie, played by the lovely Jenny Robertson. And Annie would have ended up with Robert Wuhl, who will always be "Newbomb Turk" from Hollywood Knights to me.
Still, I give Annie/Susan credit for having the most truthful lines in the movie.
TOP 5 ANNIE SAVOY LINES FROM BULL DURHAM:
5. "Making love is like hitting a baseball: you just gotta relax and concentrate."
4. "Nobody on this planet ever really chooses each other. I mean, it's all a question of quantum physics, molecular attraction, and timing."
3. "Baseball may be a religion full of magic, cosmic truth, and the fundamental ontological riddles of our time, but it's also a job."
2. "The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."
1. "You shouldn't listen to what a woman says when she's in the throes of passion. They say the darndest things."