'Diner' coming back as Broadway musical ... 'Definitely the smile of the week'
Another '80s classic is being remade: 1982's Diner is getting a second helping by being reinvented as a Broadway musical, AP reports.
But before you freak out and fire off Baltimore Colts football trivia, there is some good news. Writer/director Barry Levinson is in charge of the transformation and Sheryl Crowe is supplying music and lyrics. Okay, we're impressed.
Color us super-impressed if Barry brings back Steve Guttenberg, Mickey Rourke, Kevin Bacon, Paul Reiser, Tim Daly, Daniel Stern and Ellen Barkin.
Set in Baltimore on Christmas 1959, Diner followed the lives of a circle of friends in their early 20s, all set to vintage rrock and doo-wop. In other words, it was an '80s movie only by virtue of its release date. Look for the Broadway version to arrive on stage in 2012.
TOP 5 MEMORABLE LINES FROM DINER:
5. "If you want to talk, you always have the guys at the diner. You don't need a girl if you wanna talk."
4. "Do you ever get the feeling that there's something going on that we don't know about?"
3. "You're dealing with a rational girl; that's your problem."
2. "This is why you are so nervous all the time. You have like chunks of roast beef in your heart!"
1. "We all know most marriages depend on a firm grasp of football trivia."