The Dread Pirate Roberts never celebrates birthdays
Will Cary Elwes forever be most associated with playing The Dread Pirate Roberts in 1987's The Princess Bride? If he is, so what? It was a great role and a timeless movie. And I just can't stop ... writing about it ... as much as I try.
But truth be told, and I'm in that business, Elwes scored a few other memorable roles over the years. And no, I don't mean playing a redneck Nascar driver in Days of Thunder. But he did score with Hot Shots! and The Crush. And yes, he made a comfortable living as a working actor in the '80s as well. I remember his first from 1984's Oxford Blues, playing a snotty English student and BFF to Rob Lowe's biggest rival on campus. And he's impossible to forget as Maj. Forbes in 1989's Glory. (Did he survive at the end? We don't know, do we?)
Cary turns 49 years old today. That's 243 in pirate years, give or take. And according to the never-wrong IMDB.com, he has 10 movies currently in some form of production. Not even Buttercup had that sort of work ethic. So happy birthday, Westley. Spend your big day ... as you wish. (Ugh. But I had to, right?)
TOP 5 CARY ELWES QUOTES FROM PRINCESS BRIDE:
5. "Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
4. "I do not envy you the headache you will have when you awake. But for now, rest well and dream of large women."
3. "No one would surrender to the Dread Pirate Westley."
2. "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours."
1. "This is true love - you think this happens every day?"