"Eye of the Tiger, Rock!"
American holidays like Thanksgiving are great for one unappreciated reason: Movie marathons on cable TV. These are especially important when you're stuck working on a holiday, like I am tonight. But tonight's salvation -- the Rocky franchise on the Versus channel.
So after Rocky III came on the air and my coworkers tolerated my singing of Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger" -- all the more embarrassing when I tore off my shirt and ran around the office doing the "airplane" -- we all settled in for some great Sly vs. Mr. T action. But a disturbing trend started to interrupt our joy...
Why do they repeat every line two or three times in this flick?
- "You ain't so bad, you ain't so bad!"
- "He's hooking. He's hooking. He's hooking!"
- "There is no tomorrow! There is no tomorrow! There is no tomorrow!"
- "I'll beat you like a dog! A dog!"
- "I want Balboa! I want Balboa! You hear that, Old Man?"
- "Eye of the tiger, Rock. Eye of the tiger!"
- "Hey, boy! Hey, boy! After I crucify him, you next."
No wonder Mickey wears a hearing aid in the movie.