Funniest movies of the 80s: Nos. 11-20
We've reach the top 20 mark of our list of 50 funniest movies of the 80s.
Today's big star -- literally -- is John Candy, who appears in two movies in today's list and five overall in the list. (And that's without Great Outdoors, Summer Rental or Uncle Buck making the list.) Let's face it -- the late, great Candy made some fantastic comedies. (Was he the greatest movie dad too?)
11. Raising Arizona (1987): Nicolas Cage, Holly Hunter. "Give me that baby, you warthog from hell!" (A classic? Or overrated?)
12. 48 Hrs. (1982): Eddie Murphy, Nick Nolte. "And I want the rest of you cowboys to know something, there's a new sheriff in town. And his name is Reggie Hammond. So Y'all be cool. Right on. "
13. Tootsie (1982): Dustin Hoffman, Jessica Lange. "You slut."
14. A Christmas Story (1983): Peter Billingsley, Darren McGavin. "In the heat of battle my father wove a tapestry of obscenities that as far as we know is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan."
15. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (1987): Steve Martin, John Candy. "If I wanted a joke, I'd follow you into the john and watch you take a leak. Now are you gonna help me or are you gonna stand there like a slab of meat with mittens?"
16. Real Genius (1985): Val Kilmer, Gabriel Jarret. "Would you prepared if gravity reversed itself? The only thing I can't figure out is how to keep the change in my pockets. I've got it. Nudity. "
17. The Naked Gun (1988): Leslie Nielsen, Priscilla Presley. "Doctors say that Nordberg has a 50 - 50 chance of living, though there's only a 10 percent chance of that."
18. Sixteen Candles (1984): Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall. "No more yankie my wankie. The Donger need food." (Is Jake Ryan the ultimate boyfriend? Or is it Lloyd Dobler?)
19. Spaceballs (1987): Mel Brooks, Rick Moranis. "So, Lord Helmet, at last we meet again for the first time for the last time."
20. The Princess Bride (1987): Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin. "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"
Tomorrow: The top 10 comedies of the 80s ... so no more hints.