Harrison Ford's 'Kessel Run' at 70 years and counting
Harrison Ford is 70 years old today? That's one scruffy lookin', wrinkled nerf-herder. How many times does he have to get up during the night to make "the Kessel run?" And on the occasion of such a milestone, I think it's important to face two facts.
1. Han shot first. And frankly, I have no problem with that.
2. Harrison Ford's best work was NOT in the '80s.
Whoa. Have I ever admitted that before? Never! But I'm going to try to prove it today in my first-ever non-'80s top five list.
TOP 5 HARRISON FORD MOVIES:
5. FORCE 10 FROM NAVARONE (1978): Put Ford in any war movie not titled K-19: The Widowmaker (Apocalypse Now, Hanover Street, the Indiana Jones flicks) and you have gold. But this one is my favorite thanks to Carl Weathers and Richard Kiel.
4. BLADE RUNNER (1982): You know, he's a replicant too. Hope I didn't ruin anything for you.
3. STAR WARS (1977): If you love Han, you love him because of this flick. Maybe Empire too. Definitely not Jedi.
2. THE FUGITIVE (1993): Personally, I find it impossible to believe that a one-armed man could beat up Harrison Ford.
1. RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (1981): You know what happens when you bring a girl to an Indiana Jones movie? "Bad date."
Okay, so his very best work might have been in the '80s. Nice to have an actor to celebrate who has admirable work in any decade. But maybe it's time to hang up the whip, Indy. What do you say?