He's still standing (yeah, yeah, yeah)
Elton John turns 60 today. Six-oh-my-god years old. I won't even begin to argue that Elton is a phenomenon of the 80s. It was 1970 when one of his tunes -- "Border Song" -- first hit the charts. Now, more than 500 songs and 32 albums later, he still embarks on world tours in between the dozens of gigs each year at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. On July 1, he'll play the Concert for Diana at the newly rebuilt Wembley Stadium in honor of the 10th anniversary of the death of Princess Diana.
But before that, it's party time. Tonight, Elton plays Madison Square Garden in New York. Want to buy a ticket? Too late, my friend. Sold out.
A short aside about Elton in concert: Three times over the years I've had great seats to one of his shows. All three times, he canceled the day of the show. Throat problems. Elton, take some vitamin C tablets with you tonight.
And for those of us who seem destined never to see you play live...
TOP 10 ELTON JOHN SONGS FROM THE 80s:
10. Blue Eyes (1982): When I'm by her side, where I long to be, I will see"
9. That's What Friends Are For (1985): "I'll be on your side forever more"
8. Wrap Her Up (1985): "Roaring twenties, molls and vamps"
7. Nikita (1986): "Just look towards the west and find a friend"
6. Sad Songs (1984): "It's times like these when we all need to hear the radio"
5. I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues (1983): "Live for each second without hesitation"
4. Kiss The Bride (1983): "Long before she met him, she was mine, mine, mine"
3. Sacrifice (1989): "Some things look better baby just passing through"
2. I'm Still Standing (1983): "If our love was just a circus you'd be a clown by now"
1. Little Jeannie (1980): "I will always be your fool"