How soon is now for Morrissey? This March!
Oh don't start up with the hating! I love Morrissey. That is to say, I'm pretty sure I'd like him if I actually listened to any of his solo work after he left The Smiths. And come to think of it, I didn't listen to a lot of Smiths back in the '80s either.
But who am I to taint the image of an '80s icon? (Unless you're from Detroit and your name is Madonna). With all that said, I'm happy to announce that Morrissey begins the U.S. leg of a world tour this March in Florida, including a date here in Tampa Bay on March 4 at Jannus Landing in St. Petersburg.
He's touring to support his new album Years of Refusal (due for release Feb. 16), and will be backed by his longtime band including Boz Boorer, Jesse Tobias, Matt Walker and Solomon Walker. Find out other dates and ticket info on his official website, www.itsmorrisseysworld.com.
Because I wasn't nearly cool enough to be into Morrissey and The Smiths earlier in my life, I've asked the coolest person I know, Vegas Girlfriend, to compile today's top 5 list for me. Take it away, VGF.
TOP 5 SONGS WE NEED TO HEAR LIVE FROM MORRISSEY:
5. THE WORLD IS FULL OF CRASHING BORES: "Have a care, and say a prayer, because he's still there." [Listen]
4. IRISH BLOOD, ENGLISH HEART: "I will die with both my hands untied." [Listen]
3. FIRST OF THE GANG TO DIE: "We are the pretty petty thieves, and you're standing on our street." [Video]
2. HOW SOON IS NOW: "I am human and I need to be loved. Just like everybody else does." [Video]
1. GIRLFRIEND IN A COMA: "Let me whisper my last goodbyes. I know - it's serious." [Video]