Huey Lewis going strong at 60 ... that's the power of love
Huey Lewis never looked young. He was dropped into the '80s with a 5 o'clock shadow and an AARP card. So it's sort of hard to imagine that he only turned 60 years old today.
Alas, Hugh Anthony Cregg III was born this day in New York City. His family's biggest achievement to that point: His grandfather reportedly invented the red wax covering that protects certain types of cheeses. (Most definitely including '80s pop cheese.) Even after scoring a perfect 800 score on the math portion of the SAT, Lewis dropped out of college to pursue a career in music.
Guidance counselors around the world might be grasping at their chests in mock horror, but Huey has done pretty well for himself. Though he no longer has the drawing power of some of his music peers from the decade, Huey Lewis sorta owned the '80s. He had a run of 19 top 10 singles during the decade and the early '90s and one movie soundtrack song -- The Power of Love from Back to the Future -- that was nominated for an Academy Award. (Alas, he lost to Say You Say Me by Lionel Richie for White Nights.)
These days, Huey stays busy on tour, mainly playing the state fair and casino circuit. And he hasn't given up on acting. He's set to appear in an upcoming episode of TV Land's Hot in Cleveland alongside Betty White and Valerie Bertinelli.
In the meantime, a top 5 list isn't too much to ask for.
TOP 5 HIGHEST CHARTING '80s SONGS by HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS:
5. I WANT A NEW DRUG (1984): "One that won't make me talk too much. Or make my face break out." [Video]
4. PERFECT WORLD (1988): "Something happens to the pledges of trust. Down through the years they begin to rust." [Video]
3. HIP TO BE SQUARE (1986): "You might think I'm crazy. But I don't even care." [Video]
2. STUCK WITH YOU (1986): "We've had our ins and outs, but that's the way it's supposed to be." [Video]
1. THE POWER OF LOVE (1985): "It don't take money and it don't take fame. Don't need no credit card to ride this train." [Video]