I came here to chew bubblegum and watch 'They Live' on Blu-ray ...
And I'm all outta bubblegum. Come on, '80s fans! A little love for the most memorable line of 1988's They Live, John Carpenter's vastly underrated sci-fi tale that comes out on Blu-ray this week.
According to Entertainment Weekly, the new version includes bonus features and a "crisp-as-a-hundred-dollar-bill high-def transfer." The story follows a drifter, played by the epic "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, who finds a pair of sunglasses that allows him see that aliens now run the country, having turned its inhabitants into clueless zombies. (Is your boss hassling you right now about reading Stuck in the '80s, put on the sunglasses -- my money is that he or she is an alien.)
"They Live was a primal scream against Reaganism of the '80s," Carpenter told EW in an interview. "And the '80s never went away. They’re still with us. That’s what makes They Live look so fresh -- it’s a document of greed and insanity. It’s about life in the United States then and now. If anything, things have gotten worse."
Find the new collector's edition at Amazon for just $19.86, a price that would make an '80s fan happy.
TOP 5 MEMORABLE LINES FROM THEY LIVE:
5. "I'm giving you a choice: either put on these glasses or start eatin' that trash can."
4. "The world needs a wake up call, gentlemen. We're gonna phone it in."
3. "You know, you look like your head fell in the cheese dip back in 1957."
2. "Brother, life's a b--ch... and she's back in heat."
1. "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick a--... and I'm all out of bubblegum."