I gave her my heart, she gave me a Blu-ray special edition 'Say Anything' DVD
Online retailers are already taking orders for the movie with a Nov. 3 release date, according to thehdroom.com. No word yet on what new features will be added. The previous had some goodies, and there's hope those will make the move to the anniversary edition as well.
It's amazing that a movie made in 1989 in so many ways is one of the most memorable flicks of the '80s. Aside from Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes, it doesn't have a particularly memorable soundtrack. It wasn't full of Brat Pack stars. And it didn't have the zaniness and time capsule qualities that marked some of earlier '80s classics like Sixteen Candles and Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
But like Fast Times, it has the gift of Cameron Crowe's writing, and that's probably the secret. Crowe's romantic-comedy goes in a predictable direction until -- ta-dah! punch to the gut! -- one of the greatest (i.e. painful) breakups in the '80s unveils itself before our eyes. On a scale of 1 to 10, just how great is the line, "I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen?"
But that's too easy. Today's list is a little harder.
TOP 5 UNDERRATED LLOYD DOBLER LINES:
5. "Why can't you be in a good mood? How hard is it to decide to be in a good mood and be in a good mood once in a while?"
4. "Joe. Joe. She's written 65 songs... 65. They're all about you. They're all about pain."
3. "The rain on my car is a baptism, the new me, Ice Man, Power Lloyd, my assault on the world begins now."
2. "You probably got it all figured out, Corey. If you start out depressed everything's kind of a pleasant surprise."
1. "One question: do you need... someone, or do you need me?... Forget it, I don't really care."