'I lost the nest egg ... go on, say it!'
The Stuck in the 80s clan is headed to Vegas, Baby, Vegas (they changed the city's name) this week to celebrate (or mourn) my 40th birthday. I'm a firm believer that all milestone birthday moments should be held in cities far, far away from the legal jurisdiction of your lenders and employers. So it's either Vegas, Katmandu or Branson, Missouri ("What Vegas would be like if Ned Flanders ran it.")
Technology permitting, I'll still be able to update the blog from there, but if not, I'll ask our good friend Sean Daly to post some thoughts here and there.
But for now, enjoy a taste of the desert action with today's themed list. To be honest, I'll watch any movie about Vegas. And if I had to pick an all-time list not centered around the '80s, it'd include:
- Ocean's Eleven (2001): "There's a ninety-five pound Chinese man with a hundred sixty million dollars behind this door."
- The Cooler (2003): "That guy is kryptonite on a stick."
- Honeymoon in Vegas (1992): "We're the Flying Elvises. Utah chapter."
- Vegas Vacation (1997): "I haven't seen a beatin' like that since somebody stuck a banana in my pants and turned a monkey loose."
- Leaving Las Vegas (1995): "I need my drinky."
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998): "We can't stop here. This is bat country."
Alas, we ARE still stuck in the 80s, so...
Top 5 Vegas-related movies from the 80s:
5. Over the Top (1987): Sylvester Stallone, Robert Loggia. "I always wanted to be a milk shake."
4. Starman (1984): Jeff Bridges, Karen Allen. "I watched you very carefully. Red light stop, green light go, yellow light go very fast."
3. Rain Man (1988): Dustin Hoffman, Tom Cruise. "I'm gonna let ya' in on a little secret, Ray. K-Mart sucks."
2. Oh God You Devil (1984): George Burns and ... George Burns. "I put the fear of me in you."
1. Lost in America (1985): Albert Brooks, Julie Hagerty. "Say it! Say it! Say "I lost the nest-egg." Go on, say it!"