If Fletch can go to Provo, I can too
And so off I go this week to Utah for a short work commitment. Provo is one of the sites, of course, of Chevy Chase's adventures in the movie Fletch, easily one of the top 10 comedies of the 80s. I don't expect the town to be nearly as entertaining as the movie.
(Provo is also the site of one of the biggest injustices in college football history: It's the home of Brigham Young University, which "won" the national title back in 1984. Why the scorn? Don't get me started. Suffice to say they didn't beat anyone worth two hoots that season.)
As we continue to compile reader suggestions for our Best Comedies of the 80s list, let me give you my argument that Fletch deserves a spot near the top.
1. It's Chevy Chase's best movie, amid tough competition: Caddyshack, Vacation, Three Amigos, Spies Like Us (well, not so much those last two.)
2. Like so many great movies, it has a horribly disappointing sequel (1989's Fletch Lives).
3. Thanks to a subdued supporting cast, our man Chevy is forced to carry the movie solely on his shoulders -- something he rarely gets to do ... and that's a shame.
4. It probably has more great quotes per minute than about any other top-shelf 80s comedy (possible exception: Caddyshack, which benefits largely from Chase's quotes too.) You want a list, don't you? Don't beg.
Top 5 quotes from Fletch:
5. "Those are three names I enjoy; Marvin, Velma, and Provo."
4. "Does this proposition entail my dressing up as Little Bo Peep?"
3. "Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo. "
2. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads.
1. "You using the whole fist, Doc?"
I know I'm missing some great quotes. Fill in the blanks if you must.