I'm all outta love ... but luckily Air Supply is coming to Tampa
Soft-rockers Graham Russell and Russell Hitchcock have been writing straight-to-the-point ballads since the late '70s and though their chart-topping days may have passed them by, they still hit the road every year and play to capacity crowds around the world.
That includes a stop on Aug. 21 at The Ritz Theatre in Tampa's Ybor City. Tickets will be between $55 and $125, but the top tier tickets reportedly include a bunch of VIP extras, including a meet-and-greet with the band. Sounds like a nice intimate venue for a show like this. (Check their official website for a gig closer to your home.)
Maybe we joke around about Air Supply a little too much these days. Exiled to adult contemporary radio in the mid-80s after a string of No. 1 hits, Air Supply and their franchise of plainly written but earnestly felt music wasn't in vogue anymore. They became an easy punchline, and wrongfully so. (The 2002 movie Van Wilder, with Ryan Reynolds, has a great Air Supply moment, and it's even funnier in Spanish -- it's the only version I could find. ) When did honesty and wearing your heart on your sleeve become a bad move? (Please. Don't answer that. I already know.)
So mock Air Supply if you want. Not me. I'm putting on their best-of CD (ummm ... and my headphones) and sulking in continued sorrow as the Saddest Week in Stuck in the '80s marches on.
TOP 5 SADDEST AIR SUPPLY SONGS:
5. WITHOUT YOU: "No, I can't forget this evening, or your face as you were leaving." [Video]
4. HERE I AM: "I've done everything I can to ease the pain. But only you can stop the rain." [Video]
3. THE ONE THAT YOU LOVE: "Must we end this way when so much here is hard to lose? Love is everywhere. I know it is." [Lyrics]
2. MAKING LOVE OUT OF NOTHING AT ALL: "I'm never gonna make it without you. Do you really want to see me crawl? And I'm never gonna make it like you do, making love out of nothing at all." [Video]
1. ALL OUT OF LOVE: "There's no easy way, it gets harder each day. Please love me or I'll be gone." [Video]