John Belushi died 30 years ago today: Top 5 movies of a comedy legend
John Belushi died March 5, 1982. And unlike every other meaningful date in my beloved '80s, I can't remember a single thing about that day. I don't remember how I heard the news. Where I was. What I felt.
I only know that 30 years later, I wish John Belushi was still us. I wish we were talking about his latest project. I wish we could could marvel about how he kicked his drug habit and became an elder statesman of entertainment.
Instead, all we can wish for is peace for those who knew him and loved him best. As for peace for John himself, I wouldn't be shocked if that's one thing he never craved for - in life or in death. After all, it's like he said in the Blues Brothers: He and the Lord, they have an understanding.
Celebrate his life tonight in whatever manner is consistent with your memories of the man. Me? I'll pour a jar of mustard down the front of my toga and writhe around on the floor.
TOP 5 MOVIES BY JOHN BELUSHI:
5. 1941 (1979): "Come back, plane!"
4. NEIGHBORS (1981): "This is crazy... but there's something so right about it."
3. CONTINENTAL DIVIDE (1981): "The air was thin. She was average cute. She was the only girl up there. The air was thin!"
2. THE BLUES BROTHERS (1980): "We're putting the band back together."
1. ANIMAL HOUSE (1978): "This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst."