John Cusack's next project? Stephen King's 'Cell'
There has always been a pattern to John Cusack's movie role picks -- at least in the post-'80s world. Indie flick, personal project, blockbuster to pay the bills. And hell, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. For every Raven, there needs to be a 2012.
So here we go again. Cusack is teaming up again with Stephen King, which whom he previously made the thriller 1408, to star in Cell, "a father’s odyssey to find his wife and son in the wake of a catastrophic pulse transmitted via mobile phones," confirms Screendaily.com.
1408 was a huge global hit, so this makes total sense, expecially on the heels of The Raven (a personal project that didn't get the love it deserved), The Paperboy (which has seen only limited release) and The Butler (where Cusack plays former president Richard Nixon; it's set for a 2013 release.)
If you're the type of movie fan who only sticks to the blockbusters, you're really missing the best of Cusack's work. I still try to talk everyone I meet into watching Max, the 2002 indle flick where Cusack plays an art dealer and friend to a young Adolf Hitler in pre-WW2 Germany. Trust me, that's the perfect Cusack antidote for overly sweetened fare like America's Sweethearts and Must Love Dogs.
Of course, if you're like me and still in total denial over the calendar, just cue up 1985's The Sure Thing and enjoy great quote after great quote.
TOP 5 LINES FROM THE SURE THING:
5. "You know, junk food doesn't deserve the bad rap that it gets. Take these pork rinds for example. This particular brand contains two percent of the R.D.A. - that's Recommended Daily Allowance - of riboflavin."
4. "I'm not going to bed with you, I'm going to bed in a bed you happen to be in also."
3. "Sorry I'm late. There was this big problem... and I'm late because of it."
2. "What the hell's wrong with being stupid once in awhile? Does everything you do always have to be sensible? Haven't you ever thrown waterballoons off a roof? When you were a little kid didn't you ever sprinkle Ivory flakes on the living room floor 'cause you wanted to make it snow in July? Didn't you ever get really s---faced and maybe make a complete fool of yourself and still have an excellent time?"
1. "How would you like to have a sexual encounter so intense it could conceivably change your political views?"