Last chance for New Year's Eve fun
Are you sitting home on New Year's Eve? There's hope for you yet. Get the car keys and head to the video store to rent 200 Cigarettes, one of a handful of great 80s movies not actually made in the 80s.
The 1999 flick stars practically every decent actor from the 90s including Jay Mohr, Paul Rudd, Ben Affleck, Dave Chapelle, Janeane Garofalo, Kate Hudson and Courney Love. It's set -- duh! -- on New Year's Eve in 1981. Is there a plot? Maybe. Is there great music? You bet. And great quotes.
Like all great movies about the 80s, it's nearly impossible to quote it accurately without profanity. So just rent it, buy the soundtrack and open a bottle of something vaguely alcoholic. It's New Year's Eve!
Top 5 quotes from 200 Cigarettes:
5. "So, how do you like your eggs done in the morning, scrambled or fertilized? "
4. "You could stand there naked with a mattress strapped to your back and still look like a vestal virgin."
3. "Throwing a party it's like... it's like an invitation for abuse. It's like the last desperate act of someone who hasn't had a lasting relationship since Junior High."
2. "You let somebody move in with you, you make all these little compromises to smooth things along, and the next thing you know, you're on some macrobiotic diet and you're listening to Joni Mitchell."
1. "Everybody's having fun out here. They drinking, they fighting, they pissing on the streets. It's New Year's Eve. They loving the ladies."