The Last Starfighter set for sequel?
The Last Starfighter -- don't pretend you didn't love this movie -- is now 25 years old, and some theaters around the country are doing anniversary screenings of the 1984 sci-fi flick, one of the first to make use of computer-generated special effects.
The 1984 movie, starring Lance Guest and Robert Preston (in his final screen role), also is expected to show up soon in a special 25th anniversary DVD edition. No word yet on what new features to expect. An audio commentary by Grig, the gung-ho iguana, perhaps?
But here's the big news: The rumors of a remake seem to be true. But rather than doing a straight remake, Hollywood has its eyes set on producing a sequel. Starfighter score composer Craig Safan, in an interview with Score Notes, confirmed that a script exists.
"There are plans for a sequel. There has been a script written, it's been storyboarded," Safan said, according to a transcript on Aintitcool.com. "I think they're just sort of waiting for the final go."
Sequels are a primitive concept. I prefer to think of Hollywood as fighting remakes -- in another dimension. (Tip o' the cap to you, Grig!)
TOP 5 FAVORITE LAST STARFIGHTER LINES:
5. "I've always wanted to fight a desperate battle against incredible odds."
4. "Woo! All right! We're being invaded!"
3. "Did Chris Columbus stay home? Nooooo. What if the Wright Brothers thought that only birds should fly? And did Galoka think that the Ulus were too ugly to save?"
2. "Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada."
1. "I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax."