List of top 5 Christmas movies of '80s deserves major award
Stuck in the '80s has its own list of top Christmas movies of the '80s that we re-wrap and re-gift each year. But while you wait a few more days for that inevitability, here's a fresh list from the savvy minds over at the Culture Brats blog.
I've included only their Top 5, naturally, along with excerpts from their blog. It's a fine list. Two thumbs up, even if I'd personally swap Nos. 1 and 2.
5. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation: "This holiday classic is a favorite of mine not only because it mirrors my own obsession with outrageous decorative lighting for the outside of my house, but also because its well-intentioned but bumbling father is forever destroying whatever small salvageable scraps left after the explosions."
4. Die Hard: "During this holiday season, don't be surprised if you hear me exclaim (as I ride out of sight), 'Yippee ki-yay, motherf---er! And to all, a good night!' "
3. Gremlins: "Gremlins takes nefarious delight in contrasting the bright yuletide holiday with the scary, sometimes gory, antics of the title creatures. That's part of what makes Gremlins work."
2. Scrooged: "When Murray tears up in front of everyone, when he really gets it... I have to admit: I get it too. And that's why Scrooged is the one and only Christmas movie that I look forward to watching every year."
1. A Christmas Story: "If you haven't seen it, shame on you. Shame, shame, shame. For those of you who have shared in this holiday masterpiece for nearly 30 years, I'll leave you with one thing: 'Be sure to drink your Ovaltine!' "