Matthew Broderick turns 50: Life moves pretty fast
Matthew Broderick is 50 years old? That's impossible. Just last month, he was hacking into his high school computer to change his grades. Just last week, he was seen escaping the dungeon at Aquila before befriending a disgraced soldier and his Ladyhawke girlfriend.
And last night, my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Matthew pass out at 31 Flavors!
Ferris at 50? We're just not ready for this. Hitting 50 is a turning point. Will I still even be blogging about the '80s come 50? Hell, that's 5 years from now. Hopefully I won't be making lists of the "top 5 memorable lines of Corey Feldman" come age 70, but I suppose if the need is still there, and I can actually five 5 lines, you never know...
I wonder how Matthew Broderick is handling this milestone. Breakfast with the family? Maybe a phone call later from Alan Ruck and Mia Sara? Will he grab a place on a soft leather couch and rewatch some of his signature work on DVD? Nah. Something tells me that Broderick long ago adapted the credo of John Hughes, whom he is always associated with despite only working with him once. Enjoy every moment, but then move along.
You'll forgive me, Matthew -- forgive all of us -- if we enjoy your biggest moments ... just a little bit longer.
TOP 5 MATTHEW BRODERICK LINES OF THE 1980s:
5. "I wish I didn't know about any of this! I wish I was like everybody else in the world, and tomorrow it would just be over." (Wargames)
4. "Every happy moment in my life has come from lying." (Ladyhawke)
3. "Please, don't say...'come to mama.'" (Biloxi Blues)
2. "I'll see you in the fort, Thomas." (Glory)
1. "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." (Ferris Bueller)