Most quotable movie lines of the 80s
For example, when considering the lines, they were measured by:
- Are they lines recognized from fans outside the 80s?
- Can you use the line in everyday banter?
- Does the line have more than one possible meaning?
- Can you find the movie on TV often?
Some of the best lines from the 80s don't make the list because they fall short on those measures. Others still don't make it because they involve a set-up line, and I wanted to stick to a single quote.
As usual, I'm rolling out the list 20 items per day, starting with #61 through #80 today. Leave us a comment with your thoughts. And remember, if you don't like the results, refer to No. 78 for my response.
Today's big winners: "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" is no surprise with two entries today, but "Heathers?" Never a personal favorite of mine, but it sure has some classic lines. (Listen to the unfortunate podcast.)
MOST QUOTABLE LINES: No. 61-80
80. "I am looking for a dare to be great situation." (Say Anything)
79. "Would you qualify that as a launch problem, or a design problem?" (Real Genius)
78. "Lighten up, Francis" (Stripes)
77. "How would you like to have a sexual experience so intense, it could conceivably change your political views?" (The Sure Thing)
76. "Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe?" (Breakfast Club)
75. "How very." (Heathers)
74. "May I admire you again today?" (Pretty in Pink)
73. "Back off, man, I'm a scientist." (Ghostbusters)
72. "What are you, people? On dope?" (Fast Times at Ridgemont High)
71. "You ever dance with the devil by the pale moonlight?" (Batman)
70. "Well, f--- me gently with a chainsaw." (Heathers)
69. "Sixty-nine!" (Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure)
68. "Why don't you put your thumb up your butt?" (Ferris Bueller's Day Off)
67. "Nobody puts Baby in a corner." (Dirty Dancing)
66. "Seize the day, boys." (Dead Poet's Society)
65. "I am serious… and don't call me Shirley." (Airplane)
64. "If you build it, he will come." (Field of Dreams)
63. Up your butt, Jobu! (Major Leagues)
62. "Aloha, Mr. Hand." (Fast Times at Ridgemont High)
61. "You're a little monkey woman!" (Caddyshack)
Sneak peak at tomorrow: "Hey, everyone, we're all gonna give Rodney Dangerfield some respect!"