Mr. Spock turns 75
Lots of birthdays to talk about today (check out this site to see the full list) -- unfortunately not many with an 80s angle, so I'm going to pick on ... Leonard Nimoy!
You got it -- Mr. Spock turns 75 years old today. And, yeah yeah, Star Trek the TV show was not an 80s thing (unless you count reruns, and yes, we do), but the Star Trek movies were ALL about the 80s. And let's not forget Nimoy played Count Mippipopolous in the 1984 TV adaptation of my favorite Hemingway book, The Sun Also Rises. Classic!
At 75, Nimoy has outlived several of his Star Trek co-stars including DeForest Kelley (Dr. McCoy) and James Doohan (Scotty). His acting career, however, remains firmly entombed within the hull of the Enterprise. (Check out this cool site for a history of all ships -- real and fictitious -- that carried the name)
We won't waste your time ranking the movies (everyone knows Wrath of Khan was the best -- and The Final Frontier was the worst). So without further ado...
Best Nimoy Lines from the Star Trek movies:
5. "Really, Dr. McCoy. You must learn to govern your passions; they will be your undoing." (Wrath of Khan, 1982)
4. "They like you very much, but they are not the hell your whales." (The Voyage Home, 1986)
3. "I have little choice but to sample your beans." (The Final Frontier, 1989)
2. "Your use of language has altered since our arrival. It is currently laced with, shall we say, more colorful metaphors, 'double dumb-ass on you' and so forth." (The Voyage Home)
1. "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one." (Wrath of Khan)