Nicole Richie's dad has a new CD
I think I'd just about light myself on fire if someone came up to me and said, "Oh, you're Nicole Richie's dad." Couple of reasons. First, I have no kids that I know of. Second, I'm convinced that the real axis of evil today is Nicole Richie, Paris Hilton and Kevin Federline (now that Star Jones Reynolds has been rightfully placed in a Guantanamo Bay gulag.)
Somehow, bravely, Lionel Richie manages to struggle forth. Today, the genius (ok, the voice anyway) behind "Say You, Say Me" and "Dancing on the Ceiling" is releasing a new CD -- "Coming Home" -- which according to early press reviews sounds like "vintage Richie." (That's either a good or bad thing -- but based on that, you're going to run out and buy it or just run out.)
Will the five-time Grammy winner strike gold again? To do so, he needs to find his old audience. Richie laments to the New York Times that he's known today to young music fans only as a celebrity dad: "They have no idea who I am or what I've done."
We remember, Mr. Richie! And so we give you our list of favorite tunes:
Top 5 songs -- god help me -- by Lionel Richie:
5. Penny Lover: "Girl a love like yours is hard to resist"
4. Running with the Night: "Taking every shot, we took the town"
3. All Night Long: "Were going to party, karamu, fiesta, forever"
2. Say You, Say Me: "Seems the hardest thing to do is to find a friend or two"
1. Endless Love: "Two hearts that beat as one" ... If the song is good enough for "Happy Gilmore," it's good enough for Stuck in the 80s.