A night with the 'he-man woman hater's club'
Happy REO Speedwagon Day! Our favorite rockers from the early 80s are in town here in Tampa Bay to play a gig tonight at Clearwater's Ruth Eckerd Hall. Stuck in the 80s will be there, of course. We're just upset this day hasn't been designated a state holiday.
(Sadly, my orchestrated attempted to pull a Ferris with the clammy hands was rejected by the bosses, so I'm at work until showtime.)
Now that I've whipped you into a frenzy for tonight's show, you might be wondering how many of the old hits REO will be playing. The answer: Nearly all of them. Here's a quick look at what we believe is tonight's setlist:
- Don't Let Him Go: Perfect song to open the show with.
- Music Man: Great version of the sing available on Youtube.
- Take It on the Run: Reminds me of a bad breakup. Will use this moment for bathroom break.
- Keep Pushin': I'd swap this for something like "That Ain't Love" or "157 Riverside Avenue."
- Needed to Fall: First single off new album. Fantastic tune.
- Tough Guys: Possibly my favorite REO song. Love the "Lil Rascals" intro. ("Hey, Romeo, what about your promise to the he-man woman hater's club...")
- Dangerous Combination: Another song off new album.
- Can't Fight This Feelin: Theme to my senior prom. (My date was able to fight my feeling.)
- Smilin' in the End: Another good choice from new album.
- Time For Me To Fly: If you listen closely tonight, you'll hear Sean Daly and I singing along -- poorly.
- Back On the Road Again: Might be better played higher on the set list.
- Keep On Lovin' You: A song nobody can butcher in karaoke. I've proven this time and time again.
- Roll With the Changes: One of the all-time great songs live.
- Encore: Ridin' the Storm Out: A perfect ending to a perfect night, I'm hoping.
Moment of serendipity: Tonight's concert is 26 years -- plus one day -- since the first concert I ever saw -- Journey on their Escape tour, Oct. 22, 1981, at the Lakeland Civic Center. Come back, Steve Perry! Come back!