One 80s musician who really blows
He was off the radar for many music fans in the '80s. Definitely off-limits to anyone who raved about the music of REM, the Replacements, Husker Du or any other critically acclaimed artist.
But like those acts, Kenny G was also an important part of the decade. Born 51 years ago today as Kenny Gorelick, jazz saxophonist Kenny G began his career in 1976 playing with Barry White's Love Unlimited Orchestra. In 1986, his solo career took off when his "Duotones" album sold more than 5-million copies. All together, he's sold more than 48-million records to date.
Loved or loathed by music fans, there's one endeavor in which Kenny G has few equals: golf. In fact, in 1006, Golf Digest named Kenny G the best musician-golfer in the world (beating out defending champ and country crooner Vince Gill.)
Top 5 Kenny G jokes found on the Internet:
5. What's the difference between Kenny G and a gentleman? A gentleman knows how to play but doesn't.
4. What is the difference between Kenny G and a trampoline? You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline.
3. What do Kenny G and a baseball have in common? People cheer when you hit them with a bat.
2. You are in a room with Saddam Hussein, Adolf Hitler, and Kenny G. You have a gun but only two bullets. What do you do? Shoot Kenny G twice ... just to make sure.
1. What is the difference between Kenny G and a machine gun? The machine gun repeats only 10 times per second.