Pee-Wee Herman is 57 ... heh-heh
Pee-Wee Herman (aka Paul Reubens who is actually aka Paul Rubenfeld) might be hoping for a brand new Schwinn DX bicycle for his birthday today, but at age 57, it better have three wheels and be confined to the safer roads inside a retirement community.
Mock our boy Reubens all you want, but he's having a great year. His big comeback is set for the stage at the Henry Fonda Theater in Hollywood beginning Nov. 8, and word has it that this new version of the Pee-Wee Herman Show is selling out quickly.
"Within 24 hours of tickets going on sale, the show broke an all-time record, selling more tickets than any other show ever to perform at the Fonda," reports Examiner.com.
“I’ve put part of him away for a long time, but part of him has always been here with me,” Reubens recently told the L.A. Times. “I think it will be like riding a bike -- which is not a bad analogy for Pee-wee, by the way.”
But will it still play some 20 years after its hey-day?
“I have some fear that he won’t be funny after all this time," he conceded. "I don’t want to ruin it.”
We're not worried. Happy birthday from the '80s nation to our favorite loner and rebel.
TOP 5 LINES FROM PEE-WEE HERMAN'S BIG ADVENTURE:
5. "I pity the fool who don't eat my cereal."
4. "The mind plays tricks on you. You play tricks back! It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting..."
3. "Whoever returns the bike is obviously the person who stole it. So they don't deserve any reward!"
2. "Look out, Mister Potato Head!"
1. "You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."