Peter O'Toole bids 'dry-eyed' farewell to acting
Peter O'Toole belongs to no one decade of film, but he surely had a sizable impression in the '80s with films such as My Favorite Year, The Last Emperor and Creator. So we'd sad to see this official statement from the actor today:
"It is time for me to chuck in the sponge. To retire from films and stage. The heart for it has gone out of me: it won’t come back. My professional acting life, stage and screen, has brought me public support, emotional fulfillment and material comfort. It has brought me together with fine people, good companions with whom I’ve shared the inevitable lot of all actors: flops and hits. However, it’s my belief that one should decide for oneself when it is time to end one’s stay. So I bid the profession a dry-eyed and profoundly grateful farewell."
O'Toole's eight "Best Actor" nominations -- with no wins -- give him the unique distinction of being the most-nominated actor without an Oscar, though he did win an honorary Oscar in 2003.
My favorite O'Toole movie will always and predictably be Lawrence of Arabia, but it was his musings on the meaning of life and the great beyond in 1985's Creator that still bend my brain. It probably still holds the record for "Movie I've Seen the Most Times That Nobody Else Has Heard Of." And that's a shame. But thankfully, there's always a list to help out.
TOP 10 PETER O'TOOLE LINES FROM CREATOR:
10. "Women's liberation will run its course and we will prevail."
9. "First day of classes. Undergraduate female bottoms as far as the eye can see. In two weeks time, all the really choice bottoms will be in the hands, so to speak, of the varsity athletes."
8. "At the university, I try to please the Federal Government. Here, I negotiate with God."
7. "When Lucy and I first met, Paul, the world was a pet. It came along with us wherever we went, like a good dog. Obedient. Loyal. Friendly. The world responded to our commands."
6. "An institute for advanced research with no funds for research. It's a provocative concept."
5. "One of these days we'll look in to our microscope and find ourselves staring right into God's eyes, and the first one who blinks is going to lose his testicles."
4. "I am pleased to announce this morning that God has agreed to provide us with all the answers we need for just under $800,000."
3. "An orgasm is the fun of creation."
2. "The formula for love: Add up the number of times that you think about the lady each day. Subtract from the total the number of times you think about yourself each day. If the remainder is more lady, and less yourself, then it's love."
1. "I don't think I'd like to be God, not that I'm turning down any offers mind you. But there are six billion people on this planet and I still feel alone. Imagine being One God."