Richard Dreyfuss is gonna need a bigger birthday cake
Celebrating birthdays is a Stuck in the '80s tradition, but usually we stick to those actors who helped define our beloved decade. So where does that leave us with Richard Dreyfuss, who turns 65 years old today? The award-winning actor is a legend, but was he a legend of the '80s? Off the top of our heads, you're probably thinking Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Holland's Opus.
Great choices. None of them are from the '80s, HOWEVER, I would argue that Jaws and Close Encounters invented the Hollywood blockbuster model upon which most of the great '80s movies are based. In fact, I'm about to argue that the very best Dreyfuss acting job of the '80s is only a spoken-word perforance.
Still, it feels like we nemed a specific list. So get ready to blow out five candles, Richard. Here are ...
RICHARD DREYFUSS' TOP 5 MOVIES OF THE '80s:
5. MOON OVER PARADOR (1988): "Why couldn't you get Bobby DeNiro or Dustin Hoffman?"
4. STAKEOUT (1987): "Ah - we have a letter. 'Dear Maria, I hear you are doing okay. I hear you are seeing a couple of guys. Sometimes I get so mad I could wipe out the entire world, and enjoy myself doing it'. Now how could she have dumped a charmer like him?"
3. DOWN AND OUT IN BEVERLY HILLS (1986): "I ate garbage last night, Barbara... and *loved* it!"
2. ALWAYS (1989): "I know now, that the love we hold back is the only pain that follows us here."
1. STAND BY ME (1986): "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12. Jesus, does anyone?"