She still leads ... a glamorous life
Sheila E. turns 50 years old today! Seems like only 20 years ago, she was parading around with Prince in "Sign 'O' The Times." (Umm, well it was 20 years ago.)
Born "Sheila Escovedo," Sheila E. did indeed live the glamorous life in the 80s, not including her hit song of the same name. The drummer/percussionist played with Prince, Lionel Richie and Herbie Hancock -- among many, many others. She wrote and recorded with Prince, enjoyed her own solo career and led the house band on the truly dreadful talk show "The Magic Hour," starring Magic Johnson.
These days, Sheila is still out there performing. (Check her official website.) Her new band project C.O.E.D. (Chronicles of Every Diva) recently toured Europe this year. And she played several gigs again with Prince during his 2007 tour.
TOP 5 SHEILA E. SONGS FROM THE 80s:
5. Sister Fate: "I'm gonna stick around until this movie ends."
4. The Belle of St. Mark: "If he doesn't love me I think I'll probably die."
3. Hold Me: "Would it be so wrong 2 want U by my side?"
2. A Love Bizarre: "It gets kinda rough in the back of our limousine."
1. The Glamorous Life: "Without love, it ain't much."