She still takes our breath away
She doesn't have the largest portfolio in the 80s or the most famous face (though certainly one of the most beautiful). But take nothing away from Kelly McGillis: She easily had some of the best-developed and brilliantly acted roles of the decade.
McGillis, who turns 51 years old today, was such an influence on me that whenever I used to visit Key West, I'd search the side streets, looking for the restaurant there that she once owned with an ex-husband. It was always a time-sucking endeavor sadly undertaken on the fantasy that "Charlie" would walk out the kitchen, say "Hello, Pete Mitchell" and serve me my platter of conch fritters.
What is Kelly up to these days? Still acting thankfully, most recently in cable TV's "The L Word."
I'm also somewhat frightened and intrigued to hear she played the role of "Mrs. Robinson" in the touring stage version of "The Graduate" in 2004. Still, if Kelly McGillis ever comes up to me and delivers the line, "If you won't sleep with me this time I want you to know that you can call me up anytime you want and we'll make some kind of arrangement," I'll just die on the spot. (Note to family and friends: Scatter my ashes in Key West, somewhere near that restaurant of hers ... if you can find it.)
TOP 5 MEMORABLE KELLY McGILLIS LINES OF THE 80s:
5. "Either you tell me right now what you saw or you can tell it to me on the witness stand." (The Accused)
4. "What do you wanna do? Just drop down on the tile and go for it?" (Top Gun)
3. "I see some real genius in your flying, Maverick, but I can't say that in there. I was afraid that everyone in the tax trailer would see right through me, and I just don't want anyone to know that I've fallen for you." (Top Gun)
2. "We're all very happy that you're going to live, John Book. We didn't know what we would do with you if you'd died." (Witness)
1. "You know what we've never done. We've never ... danced." (Made in Heaven)