Sir Bono? No, 'His Demigodness' will do
U2's Bono is now officially a "Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire." It's sorta like being Knight Rider, only with far less hair gel. The honor was bestowed upon Bono for his work to defeat poverty and disease in Africa.
Britain's ambassador to Ireland performed the ceremony today, though Bono was reportedly disappointed that no sword or kneeling was involved. Likewise, because he's not a British citizen, Bono cannot use the title of "sir."
5 MORE ROCK STARS WITH A HEART:
- John Mellencamp: Co-founded of Farm Aid concerts.
- Bob Geldof: Organizer of Live Aid and Live 8 concerts.
- The Edge: Raising money for Katrina victims.
- Kenny Loggins: His "Conviction of the Heart" tune considered the environmental movement's anthem.
- Paul Simon: Set to receive the first Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song, honoring the positive effect of music on the world’s culture.