Some of the '80s best sci-fi movies are on instant Netflix
Thank the maker for the nerds at Paste.com. They've gone to the trouble of searching high and low through the archives of movies on Netflix's instant movie service to find the top 20 sci-fi movies available to subscribers.
No surprise; there are several gems from the 1980s. Here they are, along with Paste's ranking and snippet of commentary.
18. WarGames (1983): "Before Ferris Bueller took the day off, Matthew Broderick’s career was launched with WarGames, a film about an innocent, young hacker (Broderick) who plays with the computer in charge of America’s nuclear arsenal and inadvertently starts the countdown to World War III."
15. Highlander (1986): "A cult favorite, Highlander spawned a TV show and several even-campier sequels, but this first film is all you need to grasp the mythology."
11. The Thing Year (1982): "Starring a never-more-grizzled Kurt Russell and his epic beard, John Carpenter’s remake of 1951’s The Thing from Another World is a different beast altogether."
10. The Brother From Another Planet (1984): "During the ’80s, John Sayles established himself as a smart indie writer/director with a knack for social commentary. But only one of his films embedded said commentary into a zany sci-fi plot."
9. Robocop (1987): "We’ve been following news and rumors of a Robocop remake for years now. But the only reason we care is that the original was so much fun."
6. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982): "Evoking the most memorable anguished cry in cinema, Khan is Nietzschean nightmare."