St. Elmo's Fire: Overrated or underloved?
Our list of most overrated movies from the 80s is almost complete. (Click here to add your nomination.) The blog's readership left a ton of incredibly insightful comments about the movies they nominated for the list, and I'll be using those comments in the final ranking.
But one movie seemingly escaped nomination, so I want to put it into the spotlight and allow us to take aim at will:
Is St. Elmo's Fire one of the 80s most overrated flicks?
I'll admit I've seen it close to 50 times and own it on DVD. And one day soon, we'll do a podcast about it. But even still, it's not as good as it could have been. Not then. Certainly not today. My addiction to watching it again and again is somewhat related to my inclination to heat up a frozen pizza for breakfast on my days off: Not healthy, but it feeds a certain unspoken craving.
Leave a comment with your feedback on the question, but here's my case on why this movie is all style over substance:
- Sure it has the Brat Pack in it. But can any of them, aside from maybe Andrew McCarthy, say they thought their dialog was clever?
- The very slutty Demi Moore throws herself at every guy in this cast, and they all say no? What gives? Is this an ABC After-School Special? (At least Rob Lowe gets the last laugh -- and another chance -- in "About Last Night.")
- So Ally Sheedy is the slutty character? Bagging both Judd Nelson and McCarthy. Unexpected. Keeping her string of pearls on for the shower scene. Priceless.
- The movie title -- even when explained (incorrectly, as websites point out) -- lacks more credibility than an American Idol vote tally.
I could go on and on forever, but I don't want to stack the deck. Other than to give you this week's first fun list.
Top 5 meaningless lines from St. Elmo's Fire:
5. "Fluff and fold, buddy. Soon as I make it really big, I'm going fluff and fold."
4. "You know there are more people in law school right now than there are lawyers on the entire planet? Think about that."
3. "There are several quintessential moments in a man's life: losing his virginity, getting married, becoming a father, and having the right girl smile at you."
2. "So you lost your job? I've lost twenty of them since graduation. Plus a wife and kid. And, in a new development this morning, a handful of hair in the shower drain."
1. "Ah-boogity-boogity-boogity, ah-ah-ahhhhhh!"