'St. Elmo's Fire' returning as TV series
"After strong interest from multiple networks, ABC landed the dramedy series project, exec produced by [Joel] Schumacher, Topher Grace, Dan Bucatinsky and Jamie Tarses and to be written by Bucatinsky," says the Hollywood Reporter.
According to the Reporter, the TV series "will use the movie as a takeoff point and as an inspiration as it introduces six new friends: three boys and three girls."
The setting remains the same: Georgetown and St. Elmo's Bar. And any similarity to the TV series Friends is completely intentional, creators say. (Really? Can't you at least lie and say it isn't?)
The 1985 was co-written directed by Schumacher (not John Hughes, as some people believe because of the cast involved). Emilio Estevez was the top billed actor in the flick, though it's probably better remembered for performances by Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy, Demi Moore, Judd Nelson and Ally Sheedy. Mare Winningham and Andie MacDowell rounded out the cast who played recent graduates of Georgetown University.
"More than anything, the movie evokes a feeling that doesn't go away," writer Bucatinsky told the Hollywood Reporter, "the feeling of bonding with your friends who become your surrogate family."
Click here to listen to the Stuck in the '80s podcast on St. Elmo's Fire. In the meantime...
TOP 5 UNDERRATED LINES FROM ST. ELMO'S FIRE:
5. "I'm obsessed, thank you very much."
4. "There are several quintessential moments in a man's life: losing his virginity, getting married, becoming a father, and having the right girl smile at you."
3. "Never trust a woman who says she isn't angry."
2. "Fluff and fold, buddy. Soon as I make it really big, I'm going fluff and fold."
1. "Forever got a lot shorter all of a sudden."