Still not falling for the banana in the tailpipe
Yes, it's now confirmed that Eddie Murphy has agreed to return for a fourth installment of the "Beverly Hills Cop" series. Brett Ratner ("Rush Hour") is the top pick to direct the latest episode, according to the Reuters news service. The flick would begin filming next year for a summer 2010 release by Paramount.
It's hard to ignore the Indiana Jones parallels here. Both Harrison Ford and Murphy have suffered through a string of box office disappointments before agreeing to breathe live back into 20-year-old signature roles. And while Ford's "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" has done well in ticket sales, many critics and movie-goers are less than impressed.
Now consider neither "Beverly Hills Cop" sequel was as good as the two "Indiana Jones" follow-ups, and you really start to fear for what we might see in 2010. Good luck, Axel. You'll need all you can get ... along with an obligatory list.
TOP 5 LINES FROM BEVERLY HILLS COP:
5. "Tell Victor that Ramon -- the fella he met about a week ago? -- tell him that Ramon went to the clinic today, and I found out that I have, um, herpes simplex 10."
4. "Is this the gentleman who ruined the buffet at the Harrow club this morning?"
3. "Disturbing the peace? I got thrown out of a window! What's the f---ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?"
2. "Before I go, I just want you two to know something, alright? The supercop story ... was working."
1. " 'You're not gonna fall for the banana in the tailpipe?' It should be more natural, brother. It should flow out, like this -- 'Look, man, I ain't fallin' for no banana in my tailpipe!' See, that's more natural for us."