Terrorism has won: 'Private Benjamin' called back to duty
Private Benjamin ... ten-hut! Today is your lucky day. Sure it's been 30 years since you held a gun and got a laugh, but times are tough in Hollywood and it's important that we don't overwork the brains of studio executives.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, New Line is remaking the 1980 comedy, which starred Goldie Hawn as a high society woman whose husband (Albert Brooks) dies on their wedding night. Deep in depression and lacking direction, she's conned into joining the Army by a recruiter (Harry Dean Stanton). The movie, which earned three Oscar nominations, would later become a short-lived TV series.
Set to take over Hawn's role as Priv. Judy Benjamin is Anna Faris (Brokeback Mountain, Just Friends, Waiting).
"The new take will set the story in contemporary times with modern wars as the backdrop," THR says. "Insiders say the studio doesn’t want to poke fun at the men and women in the service or take political potshots, but rather focus on the empowerment elements and build on the fish-out-of-water comedy."
Okay, so less Hurt Locker and more Sgt. Bilko. We get it. Amy Talkington, who reportedly wrote a remake of Valley Girl that's sitting on on a shelf at MGM, is the first pick to write the new Private Benjamin.
BTW, the Hollywood Reporter says New Line is also working on remakes of Vacation and Police Academy. I feel more venomous blog items in the near future.
TOP 5 LINES FROM PRIVATE BENJAMIN:
5. "I mean look at this place. The army couldn't afford drapes? I'll be up at the crack of dawn here!"
4. "I wanna wear my sandals... I wanna go out to lunch. I wanna be NORMAL again!"
3. "Beware... there are mine fields out there. Most of them are inert. However, some of them are ert."
2. "See, I did join the army, but I joined a *different* army. I joined the one with the condos and the private rooms."
1. "Now I know what I've been faking all these years."